24 January, 2009

#9 - Breaking Up

In this episode we share the talk:
M. Gawain Wells, “Breaking Up without Going to Pieces: When Dating Doesn’t End in Marriage,” Ensign, June 1982, 58

As well as the following quotes:

Sheri Dew:
There Is Power in the Atonement of Jesus Christ
Until I was in my thirties, I thought the Atonement was basically for sinners--meaning that it allowed us to repent. But then I suffered a heartbreaking personal loss and began to learn that there was so much more to this sublime doctrine.
My solution initially to my heartbreak was to exercise so much faith that the Lord would have to give me what I wanted--which was a husband. Believe me, if fasting and prayer and temple attendance automatically resulted in a husband, I'd have one.
Well, the Lord hasn't even yet given me a husband; but He did heal my heart. And in doing so, He taught me that He not only paid the price for sin but compensated for all of the pain we experience in life. He taught me that because of His Atonement, we have access to His grace, or enabling power--power that frees us from sin; power to be healed emotionally, physically, and spiritually; power to "loose the bands of death" (Alma 7:12); power to turn weakness into strength (see Ether 12:27); and power to receive salvation through faith on His name (see Mosiah 3:19). It is because of the Atonement that, if we build our foundation on Christ, the devil can have no power over us (see Helaman 5:12).
BYU Speech, 9 December 2003


Of All Things
Rx for Loneliness
Gordon B. Hinckley:
“To you … who wish to be married I say this, Do not give up hope. And do not give up trying. But do give up being obsessed with it. The chances are that if you forget about it and become anxiously engaged in other activities, the prospects will brighten immeasurably. …
“Let us face the fact that in this life some of you will marry, some of you may not. For those of you who do, it must be a total commitment, without reservation. It must involve total and unequivocal loyalty. It must be a covenant for eternity, a companionship that will require constant attention and nurturing.
“For those who do not marry, this fact of life must be faced squarely. But continuous single status is not without opportunity, challenge, or generous recompense.
“I believe that for most of us the best medicine for loneliness is work and service in behalf of others.”
—President Gordon B. Hinckley, “A Conversation with Single Adults,” Ensign, Mar. 1997, 60–61.
“Of All Things,” New Era, Oct. 2004, 42

No comments:

Post a Comment